The word Pranayam is derived from a combination of the following Sanskrit words: ‘prana’ meaning – ‘life force’, ‘yama’ meaning ‘discipline’ and ‘ayama’ meaning ‘expansion’. It is a technique that helps you master the correct way of breathing.
Pranayam breathing or yogic breathing is a key to good health. It is following certain breathing exercises in a set pattern. Pranayam is undertaken for good physical and mental health.
We all know the importance of inhaling oxygen and exhaling out oxygen. Oxygen is what travels through our body and provides energy to the various parts of our body. The toxins from our body are exhaled out along with carbon dioxide. When we practice pranic breathing we create a balance between the oxygen that goes in and the carbon dioxide that comes out. This balance further helps us to attain a balance between our mind, body and soul. Pranic breathing helps us to achieve this balance.
Breathing as a process comes so naturally to us that we do not pay attention to how we breathe. When we breathe it is only a fraction, probably one third of the actual capacity of our lungs that we use. This means two things; first, that we are not breathing in the actual amount of oxygen that is required by our body and second, we are not flushing out the toxins completely from our body.
- 1 Pranayam Overview
- 1.1 Why Should we Practice Pranayam Breathing?
- 1.2 Pre-steps of Pranayama
- 1.3 Shilpa Shetty – Pranayam Breathing Video
- 1.4 430 Sex Positions [$4.99 only]
Why Should we Practice Pranayam Breathing?
- Better Lung Capacity – It helps us use our lungs to their full capacity. This in turn means that the body takes in enough oxygen that is required by the body and also at the same time flushes out the toxins from our body.
- Better Protection Against Diseases – It keeps the body away from diseases as toxins are flushed out of the body, lessening the chances to become a victim of a disease.
- Better Digestive System – It increases the metabolic rate of our bodies which further helps our digestive system.
- Better Metal Health – It keeps the mind away from stress, temper and improves concentration. Insufficient supply of oxygen to the mind affects our ability to think and concentrate. Practicing pranic breathing helps us to exercise a better control over our minds.
- Spiritualism – Last but not the least it takes us on a path of spiritualism.
It keeps the mind and the body relaxed.
Pranayam breathing should not be practiced without proper guidance. One can be initiated to pranayam only by a guru. It is a yogic practice that helps one to achieve a healthy, relaxed body and mind to prepare you to be initiated on the path of spiritualism. All who choose to are welcome to join in an endeavor to learn the healthy way of breathing.
Pre-steps of Pranayama
Three steps before doing Pranayam
1. Empty stomach
Stomach should be empty. Early in the mornin, doing Pranayam is very good for health. Early in the morning, oxygen level is high so doing Pranayam leads to more intake of oxygen. If you are doing Pranayam in the evening then a person should have a gap of 4-5 hours between the meals. If the stomach is not empty so instead of giving advantage, pranayam can cause bad impact on our body like indigestion, acidity.
So stomach should be empty or a gap of 4-5 hours between the meals should be present.
2. Isolation from zero potential
According to science, earth is having zero potential. While doing pranayam one needs to sit isolated from the ground. Isolation from ground provides sufficient energy to our body.Without proper isolation, energy is not circulated properly within the human body.
So it’s better, if one sits on the mat, cloth or even on the bed. The sole aim is just to provide isolation of body from the ground.
3. Positive thinking
Before starting pranayam one needs to think positive. A person doing Pranayam should think positive. A positive feeling itself can cure many diseases. The ultimate aim is to keep the mind in peace and to think positive. Positive thinking develops positive energy in the body and this positive energy itself cures several diseases.
So think positive and do Pranayam with positive energy.