Dandayamana bibhaktapada paschimottanasana is a simple standing upper-body inversion that calms the nervous system. In Bikram yoga, it is the ninth of the 26 asanas.
From standing, step the feet wide, then bend at the waist, letting the head drop toward the ground between the legs. Wrap the arms outside of the legs with the elbows bent and grab the heels, resting the heels atop the fingers.
Commonly, this asana is called standing separate-leg stretching asana.
Study in Index
Advantages of Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana
What is Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana Yoga Asan
This asana is also known as the Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose. This asana similar to its name stretching your legs and arms. It is one of those enduring asanas that helps your heart and other parts of your body. Stretching is always good for your body. It helps in creating the right balance for your body. Doing this asana is a step forward towards better health. It helps in creating unison between the mind and soul. By doing this pose your heart rate becomes normal. This asana is very useful for most parts of your body. It may be difficult at first. This hitch can be defeated by doing this asana regularly.
A stiff body becomes very flexible by doing this asana.
It helps in improving your basic movements.
There is fresh supply of blood to the brain which helps it to stimulate the brain for better functioning.
The posture helps in toning your abdominal organs which helps to create a flexible body.
A flexible body helps you do this posture in a much better manner. If done properly the benefits you reap will remain with you life long.
It is very important that you keep your legs straight while doing this asana. The inhaling and exhaling at the right time also creates a favorable impact on your body. It is very good for clearing your mind to get you out of depression. Many of the ailments related to stomach can be bid adieu.
It helps in relieving constipation, indigestion and acidity.
It compresses the pancreas which helps in maintaining your diabetes level.
The asana helps in reverting your age as your face glows by doing this asana.
Sciatica is also prevented as it helps in building and strengthening of the nerves. The sciatic nerves are stretched helping you to recover faster. Your legs are stretched which helps them to get into the proper shape. The legs become much stronger after doing this asana. If you are having weight problems it can help in creating a proper waist line. A good massage is provided to your kidneys, digestive and reproductive system. It is very good for avoiding brain problems such as aneurysms and tumors. It is very good for your back too.
Summary of Benefits of Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana
- Possibly increases circulation to the brain and adrenal glands
- Calms nervous system
- May be good for depression
- Good for constipation
- Helps reduce abdominal obesity
- May help with diabetes and hyperacidity
- Releases lower back
- Exercises muscular, adrenal and reproductive systems
Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana Tips
- Work on the priority of a straight even arched spine rather than straight legs
- Straight legs in combination with a rounded spine causes strain and back damage and can inflame sciatic and lower back conditions
How to do Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana
Steps to Separate-Leg Stretching Asana
This pose will improve your flexibility tremendously, and as such most beginners won’t be able to perform the full range of motion. Don’t worry though; it’s precisely the fact that you cannot yet perform it that makes this pose so beneficial; after all, if there was no struggle, your body would not improve.
- Stand straight, with both feet as close together as possible.
- Raise both your arms above your head and towards the ceiling while keeping the inside of your palms facing each other.
- Extend your right leg sideways so that both your legs form an inverted “V” shape. The distance between both feet should be around 4-5 feet. Keep both your legs lock, and spread both your arms sideways so that they become parallel to the floor – just like if you were pretending to be an airplane
- While keeping your knees locked, move your hips slightly backwards while arching your lower back a little; you should feel a natural curve forming right above your buttocks. You’ll know you are doing this properly if you feel a slight stretch in the hamstrings.
- Keep your feet firmly on the ground, knees locked. Begin to slowly lower your torso, as if you were attempting to bring it between your legs. Beginners won’t be able to go too far down, but that’s just fine. While descending, make sure to keep your head, neck and spine in one straight line (do not tuck your chin or bend the head backwards).
- The goal is to get your torso so low that it becomes nearly perpendicular to the floor. Once you have brought the torso as low as you can, use both your hands to grab your heals from beneath (not from the back), and then attempt to pull the heals upwards with your strength, providing for an excellent whole-body stretch. Again – a beginner will likely not be able to do this; in that case, just try to grab your feet anywhere, or even touch them with the tips of your fingers.
- Hold the position for a good minute, or as long as required by your instructor.
Things to Keep in Mind
- After you lower your torso, try to shift as much of your weight onto the toes, while still maintaining your balance.
- As a beginner, do not force the movement – if you feel that you’ve reached the limits of your range of motion, do not push past it; just hold the position at just that point where you feel that it’s challenging, and you’ll improve with time. If you are feeling pain, you are going too far.
- Keep the knees locked; keep the head, neck and spine aligned in a straight line.
- All the movements should be performed slowly and under full control – “jerking” motions will likely lead to a muscle strain or even tear.
Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimottanasana Precaution
- Bend your elbows to touch your shins. If they don’t touch you are either stepping out too wide, or you need to bend your legs, or both! Fix it now and you will fix a ton of other problems in your whole practice.
The researchers found that yoga outperformed aerobic and other forms of exercise at improving balance, flexibility, strength, pain levels among seniors, menopausal symptoms, daily energy level, and social and occupation functioning, among other health parameters.
Learn about all the Yoga Asanas (Poses) from basic poses, advanced poses, seated and standing poses, twists and bandha with Contraindications and Benefits.
If you are serious about your health and do not want to pay heavy medical bills to doctors then do practice these Yoga asanas (postures) and stay healthy.