Mouth ulcers are very common and recent research has indicated around one in five of us contracts the condition at any one time. Ordinarily, they will disappear of their own accord within a week or so and akin to common common health conditions there are a number of old wives tales connected with them. The most common is of course the direct correlation between telling lies and contracting a mouth ulcer, there may be some truth in this tale given that stress is a common contributor to mouth ulcers.
Historic remedies predominantly consist of placing salt onto the ulcer which of course initially hurts, although a warm salty mouth wash is still used today to help alleviate the pain of ulcers.
In the majority of cases mouth ulcers are a minor condition which can be treated at home. However, in a small amount of cases should you have an ulcer which persists for more than three weeks you may wish to consult your doctor or dental practitioner to assess the condition given in some cases it can be connected to mouth cancers. If you find yourself consistently suffering from repeated attacks of mouth ulcers you should also consult your doctor given anaemia and other medical conditions can be associated with them, inflammatory bowel disease is a good example.
The prime cause for occurrence of mouth ulcers is malnutrition. Moreover, our body needs many nutrients to work efficiently, and deficiency of these important nutrients has many consequences, including ulcers in the mouth. Also, there are certain nutrients whose deficiency may cause ulcers, for example vitamin B12, zinc, folic acid and iron. The home remedies for canker sores can restore these nutrients. In addition, some other causes might include food allergies, heredity, bacterial infection, stomach troubles, constipation and menstrual period. Whatever may be the cause for mouth ulcers but the home remedies for canker sores are capable in treating the ulcers.
Mouth ulcers: causes and home remedies
Major causes of mouth ulcers
- Unhygienic dental conditions
- Deficiencies in nutrition’s such as vitamin B12, Vitamin C and iron
- Food allergies
- Herpes simplex infections in particular
- Accidental bites in the mouth and the cheek
- Hormonal imbalance
- Disease in bowels
- Skin disease
- Underlying disease conditions
As mentioned before mouth ulcers are often misunderstood as cold sore. It is easy to differ between both conditions as canker sores are round or oval in shape and centre of these ulcers are red or yellowish with red looking border, whereas cold sores are red colored bumps on the lips. Also, the mouth ulcers occur only inside the mouth whereas cold sores are found outside the mouth. In the condition of ulcers in the mouth the life becomes miserable as one cannot eat or drink properly; even talking is uncomfortable sometimes. In such desperate situations, the home remedies for canker sores can help a person to enjoy the life once again.
There are many remedies to treat the condition, among all of them the most effective home remedies for canker sores are mentioned below.
Brief home remedies list (mouth ulcers or canker sores)
1. To reduce the intensity of pain one can rinse mouth with aloe juice several times a day.
2. To relieve pain and heal rapidly, put some alum on the affected area twice daily.
3. In case of bacterial infection, apply baking powder on the affected area. The baking powder can be used in the form of paste also.
4. Add 5 to 6 drops of grapefruits in a glass of water. Rinse mouth with this mixture twice daily.
5. Mix half teaspoon of golden seal powder with one-fourth teaspoon of common salt. Add this mixture in a glass of water and mix thoroughly. Rinse mouth twice daily with this homemade mouthwash.
Home remedies of mouth ulcers (canker sores) extended list
Treatment of canker sores or burning ulcers
- Coconut milk is a good medicine for ulcers. Extract milk by grating fresh coconut. Now gargle with this coconut milk for about three to four times a day.
- Coriander leaves boiled in water are one simple remedy for mouth ulcers. Let the water cool down and gargle lukewarm water for at least 3-4 times a day and notice better results.
- Gargle with one glass of cold /chilled water and one glass of lukewarm water alternatively. This procedure will cure the mouth ulcers effectively.
- Take one cup of fenugreek leaves and boil them in two cups of water. Strain the water and keep it aside for sometime by covering it with a lid. Gargle this water twice or thrice daily.
- Boil one cup of water and add one teaspoon of coriander seeds in it. After it becomes warn remove it and gargle when the water is slightly warm. Repeat this process 3 to 4 times every day.
- Aloevera is an effective natural remedy for mouth ulcers. Take at least two tablespoons of aloe vera gel thrice daily for quick results.
- Chewing 5 – 6 basil leaves (tulsi leaves) with some water every day will help you in getting rid of mouth ulcers. Repeat this procedure five to six times daily for better results.
- Chew five to six pieces of holy basil leaves and drink some water. Do this for at least 5-6 times whenever you get mouth ulcers.
- Consuming raw tomatoes helps you in getting rid of mouth ulcers. You can even try gargling with tomato juice three to four times every day.
- You can apply the mixture of camphor and sugar candy on the blister. This mixture is made with 7 parts of mishri (sugar candy) and one part of camphor. This is one of the the simplest home remedy for curing mouth ulcers.
- Apply the mixture of turmeric powder and glycerine. To make the mixture, take one pinch of turmeric and one teaspoon of glycerine.
- Take one teaspoon of honey and mix 1/4 teaspoon turmeric to make a paste. Now rub it on the canker sore.
- Eat a banana with curd as the first thing in the morning for better results.
- One of the proven remedy to cure mouth ulcer is to massage the gums in the mouth with a mixture of honey and coconut oil.
- Make a paste of Indian gooseberry and apply it on the sore directly. Repeat this process at least twice a day and notice the quick results.
- Make your own antiseptic mouthwash with ten drops of tea tree oil in 1/3 cup of water. Swish this mouthwash for more than 30 seconds and spit it out. This helps you cure the infection and heals the sore.
- Dissolve half teaspoon salt in one cup of water to make a salt water mouthwash. Now swish this mouthwash for at least 30 seconds, and then spit it out. Also you can gargle with lukewarm salt water for better results.
- Bicarbonate of soda also helps you get rid of these painful sores.
- Dab two drops of tea tree oil directly on the ulcer, doing this will reduce the redness around the sore and also reduces the inflammation caused
- Another quick way of treating mouth ulcer in short duration is by using cranberry juice. Hold the juice in the mouth over the ulcer for better results.
- You can even use plain yogurt to treat these canker sores.
- Eat raw salad with plenty of onions; this will help you make the ulcers disappear.
In conclusion, the above mentioned home remedies for canker sores are not only most effective remedies but also they are easy to make. Also, it is important to get rid of malnutrition to keep body healthy. In addition, it is advised to keep digestive system healthy so that the nutrients in the food can be absorbed properly. Finally, when the home remedies for canker sores and the recommended preventions are paired together the healing process will be faster and re-occurrence can be prevented also.