There are many kinds of fungus that live in the human body. One type is called candida. It’s a type of yeast that normally lives in small amounts in places like your mouth and belly, or on your skin without causing any problems. But when the environment is right, the yeast can multiply and grow out of control.
The infection it causes is called candidiasis. There are several different types of it. Most can be easily treated with over-the-counter or prescription medications.
Most people may not have heard of candidiasis and the ones who do know can tell you the symptoms of the disease can easily be mistaken for an upset stomach, an allergic reaction or simple exhaustion.
Unfortunately, if left unattended, candidiasis or infection brought about by the fungus candida albicans can cause serious damage to the body.
The good news is candidiasis, in its early stages, may not necessarily mean a trip to the doctor where you would incur expensive fees and medical bills. For the most part, home remedies have proven quite effective in combating the effects of candidiasis. The key is to administer these remedies early on.
- 1 Candida Home Remedies
- 1.1 Tea tree oil mouthwash
- 1.2 Plain yogurt
- 1.3 Apple cider vinegar
- 1.4 Changes in diet
- 1.5 Other solutions: Prevention worth a pound of cure
Candida Home Remedies
Tea tree oil mouthwash
For oral thush
Mix a few drops of tea tree oil (approximately 5 to 8 drops) into a glass of either warm or cold water. Gargle the mixture for about a minute. Let the solution touch all the parts of the mouth (throat, palate, cheek lining). Be careful not to swallow the solution. Gargle two times a day (preferably one in the morning and one before sleeping).
For vaginal yeast infection
Add a few drops of tea tree oil onto a tampon or sterile gauze and apply on to the affected area. Replace every 4 to 6 hours.
Make sure it has absolutely no sugar and other ingredients added to it. The yogurt should contain live lactobacillus acidophilus, which are good bacteria that keep candida albicans in check.
For vaginal yeast infection
Dip tampon in the yogurt and insert into the vagina. Use twice a day until the symptoms clear up and repeat for one more extra day for good measure.
For skin problems (cutaneous candidiasis)
Apply yogurt directly on the affected area. Not only will the yogurt address the fungal infection, but also the yogurt will lend a soothing effect and relieve severe itching and weeping. Let yogurt stand for an hour or so and wash off well. Keep affected area dry. Apply two to three times a day.
Apple cider vinegar
For oral thrush: Mix two (2) teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to one (1) cup cool water. Gargle with solution. Do not swallow. After gargling, dip a cotton swab in undiluted apple cider vinegar and apply directly on to the oral sores. Do not rinse. Allow to stand overnight.
For vaginal yeast infection
Create a douching solution of one (1) tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and two (2) cups of water. Add one (1) garlic clove and allow the solution to stand for two hours before using for douching.
Changes in diet
Candida seems to thrive on high-sugar diets. So in order to “starve” the fungi, go on a low-to-no sugar diet, using sugar alternatives at best. Continue with this diet for as long as symptoms persist. In addition to the altered diet, make sure you receive sufficient doses of vitamins (A, B-complex, C) as well as minerals (iron and zinc).
This solution works best when the symptoms are becoming systemic, meaning that different parts of the body are affected all at the same time. (For example, in addition to vaginal yeast infection, you have also contracted skin and stomach problems as well.) Diabetics, however, need to consult with a medical professional before undergoing this measure.
Other solutions: Prevention worth a pound of cure
To prevent candida overgrowth, which is the prime cause of the disorders, observe these tips (especially for the women).
– Don’t douche or clean inside the vagina. Do not use vaginal deodorants or perfumed soaps when washing the external area. You can strip the body of the natural elements that keep the fungus in check. At best, use plain water or a mild, pH-balanced cleanser.
– Avoid tight clothes (including underwear), especially ones made of nylon. These prevent proper aeration (breathing) of the skin. It encourages moisture to form in the body, which is prime breeding ground for fungi.
– Drink plenty of water to keep the body cool and to flush out toxins (including those produced by the candida fungus) out of your body.
– Have a good number of servings of bananas, yogurt, and garlic. These foods have been found to have lots of anti-fungal properties and if part of your regular diet, the chances of avoiding candidiasis are great.
– Do not skip meals and avoid keeping your stomach empty for long periods of time. You wreak havoc on a body that function best when working on routine time. Having irregular eating habits have been observed to increase the chances of candida overgrowth.
The key to all of these home remedies are early and quick detection. So in order to administer the right remedy, learn to recognize the symptoms.
However, should you be unsure of the indicators, always consult with a qualified and licensed medical professional. Listen to their advice and pair them with these home remedies. You just may be a step closer to ridding, if not totally avoiding, candidiasis and its nasty effects.