A wound is a type of injury which happens relatively quickly in which skin is torn, cut, or punctured (an open wound), or where blunt force trauma causes a contusion (a closed wound). It specifically refers to a sharp injury which damages the dermis of the skin.
According to level of contamination a wound can be classified as
- clean wound, a wound made under sterile conditions where there are no organisms present in the wound and the wound is likely to heal without complications.
- contaminated wound, where the wound is as a result of accidental injury where there are pathogenic organisms and foreign bodies in the wound.
- infected wound, where the wound has pathogenic organisms present and multiplying showing clinical signs of infection, where it looks yellow, oozing pus, having pain and redness.
- colonized wound, where the wound is a chronic one and there are a number of organisms present and very difficult to heal as in a bedsore.
- 1 Wounds and Ayurvedic Home Remedies
- 1.1 Open wounds
- 1.2 Closed wounds
- 1.3 Wound Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
Wounds and Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Open wounds can be classified according to the object that caused the wound. The types of open wound are:
- Incisions or incised wounds, caused by a clean, sharp-edged object such as a knife, razor, or glass splinter.
- Lacerations, irregular tear-like wounds caused by some blunt trauma. Lacerations and incisions may appear linear (regular) or stellate (irregular). The term laceration is commonly misused in reference to incisions.
- Abrasions (grazes), superficial wounds in which the topmost layer of the skin (the epidermis) is scraped off. Abrasions are often caused by a sliding fall onto a rough surface.
- Avulsions, injuries in which a body structure is forcibly detached from its normal point of insertion. A type of amputation where the extremity is pulled off rather than cut off.
- Puncture wounds, caused by an object puncturing the skin, such as a splinter, nail or needle.
- Penetration wounds, caused by an object such as a knife entering and coming out from the skin.
- Gunshot wounds, caused by a bullet or similar projectile driving into or through the body. There may be two wounds, one at the site of entry and one at the site of exit, generally referred to as a "through-and-through."
Closed wounds have fewer categories, but are just as dangerous as open wounds. The types of closed wounds are:
- Hematomas, also called a blood tumor, caused by damage to a blood vessel that in turn causes blood to collect under the skin.
- Hematomas that originate from internal blood vessel pathology are petechiae, purpura, and ecchymosis. The different classifications are based on size.
- Hematomas that originate from an external source of trauma are contusions, also commonly called bruises.
- Crush injury, caused by a great or extreme amount of force applied over a long period of time.
Wound is an injury to living tissue caused by a cut, blow, or other impact, typically one in which the skin is cut or broken.
Wound Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
Causes of Wounds
Wounds can be caused by infections, such as infections after surgery and infections in insect bites. Wounds can be caused by being immobile, such as bed sores or pressure injuries. Wounds can also be caused by chronic illnesses.
Wound causes can be internal or external in origin. Wounds of internal origin are mainly due to impaired circulation, neuropathy or medical illness. Wounds of external origin are due to an outside force or trauma that causes open or closed wounds as explained in detail above.
Symptoms of Wounds
The following signs and symptoms often accompany wounds:
- Bleeding or oozing of blood.
- Pain and tenderness.
- Possible fever with infection.
- Not being able to use or move the affected area.
- Oozing pus, foul smell (in infected wounds only)
Wounds : Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
Some home remedies for the wounds are:
1. Applying Neem oil on any type of wounds, cures the wound very fast.
2. Sesame seeds (Til ) and Neem leaves roasted with Castor oil (Erand) and grinded with Turmeric and little Camphor, can be used as an home made ointment. Daily use of this ointment cures wound faster.
3. Eating oranges, garlic, grapes, carrots helps to heal the wounds faster.
4. Applying Honey on the wounds, helps to heal the wound faster and also removes its scar.
5. Boiled Carrot pulp (after cooling) applied on the wounds, help to heal the wound faster.
8. Grinded Basil leaves (Tulsi) applied on the wounds, heals the wound faster. Water boiled with Basil leaves can be used to wash wounds which helps to kill germs and prevent infection.
9. Applying Turmeric paste on the wounds and drinking Turmeric with milk, helps to heals the wound faster and helps to kill germs and prevent infection.
10. Potato boiled in water and this water used to wash the internal wounds reduces swelling and pain.
11. Washing wounds with own Urine, helps to heals the wound faster and helps to kill germs and prevent infection.
12. Applying Sandal wood paste on the wounds helps to heal the wound faster.
13. Applying juice, oozed from a cut on raw Banana, on the wounds helps to heal the injury faster.
14. Applying juice, oozed from a cut on raw Papaya (Papita), on the wounds helps to heal the injury faster.
15. Garlic juice and Turmeric mixed with Gingery ( Til ) oil applied on the swelling helps to reduce swelling and heals wounds faster.
16. Tamarind ( Imli ) pulp heated and applied on the swollen area (internal injury), helps to cure the wounds faster and reduces pain.
17. Applying the paste of Carrom seeds (Ajwain) grinded with Lemon juice on the swelling, caused by a wound, helps to cure the wound faster and reduces pain.
18. The swelling caused due to a wound can be heated, with the help of hot Drum stick ( Muranka bhaji ) leaves tied in a cloth. This will reduce the swelling and pain.
19. Tie grinded Mint (Pudina) in a cloth and apply the cloth over the wounds, it helps to heal the wound faster and helps to kill germs and prevent infection.
20. Applying raw Potato paste on the internal blood clot (Neel, Blue colour), due to a internal injury, is helpful in reducing the pain.
21. Boil Camphor ( Kapoor ) in Coconut oil and apply this oil over the swollen area. Wash the swollen area with hot water next day. This helps to reduce swelling caused by a internal injury.
Amazing Benefits of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Ayurvedic health treatment is the world's oldest holistic healing system.
It was developed more than 12000 years ago in India.
It's based on the simple belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit.
It believes in the principle of free treatment using herbs, roots and leaves of nature. You can also call it world's first open source medical system.
Read some of the health guides on Ayurvedic home remedies and share them with your friends and family. Implement them in real life and stay disease free.