Itch is a sensation that causes the desire or reflex to scratch. Itch has many similarities to pain, and while both are unpleasant sensory experiences, their behavioral response patterns are different.
Pain creates a withdrawal reflex, while itch leads to a scratch reflex.
Scratch reflex sometimes help, itch generates stimulus of a foreign object underneath or upon the skin and also the urge to remove it. For example, responding to a local itch sensation is an effective way to remove insects from one's skin.
Unmyelinated nerve fibers for itch and pain both originate in the skin; however, information for them is conveyed centrally in two distinct systems that both use the same nerve bundle and spinothalamic tract.
The contagious form of itching is more common. It is believed that even a discussion on the topic of itch can give one the desire to scratch. The sensory organs reminds of the affected part and the person starts to scratch. It is indeed very contagious.
Itch is likely to be more than a localized phenomenon in the place we scratch. Results from a study showed that itching and scratching were induced purely by visual stimuli in a public lecture on itching. The sensation of pain can also be induced in a similar fashion, often by listening to a description of an injury. There is little detailed data on central activation for contagious itching, but it is hypothesized that a human mirror neuron system exists in which we imitate certain motor actions when we view others performing the same action. A similar phenomenon in which mirror neurons are used to explain the cause is contagious yawning. Yawning and itching is replicated due to reflexive response.
Itching Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Causes of Itch (Itching)
- Contact dermatitis
- Skin conditions and rashes.
- Dry skin.
- Allergic fczema.
- Athlete's foot.
- Bites and stings.
- Internal diseases.
- Nerve disorders.
Basic Symptoms of Itching
- Bumps, spots or blisters
- Dry, cracked skin
- Leathery or scaly texture to the skin
Itching on a body can be because of many reasons. Sometimes it can be side effect of some medicines, some diseases or it can be due to insect, long term allergies, blood disorders, impure blood, thyroid problems, diabetes, use of cosmetics.
Itching : Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
Here are some home remedies in general. Salt and sugar should be avoided during Itching problem.
1. Drink one tablespoon of hot pure Ghee in one go, empty stomach in the morning, for few days to cure Itching problem. Ghee should be hot enough but bearable.
2. Boil neem leaves in sufficient water for 10-15 minutes. Taking bath with this water helps in curing many skin diseases including Itching.
3. Durva (Dub, A grass used to worship Lord Ganesha) juice mixed with Turmeric powder applied on the affected area cures Itching.
4. Bottle gourd (Ghea) juice applied on the affected area cures Itching.
5. Boil some Coriander (Dhania) seeds in water and add Sugar and filter. Drinking this decoction helps to reduce pitt and Itching.
6. Drinking Mint (Pudina) juice and applying Mint juice on the body also cures Itching.
7. Applying the paste of grinded Tender Guava leaves and Curd, on the body 2 hours before taking bath helps to cure Itching.
8. Eating raw Cabbage (Patta gobi) everyday helps to cure Itching.
9. Boil some Cumin seeds (Jeera) in water and taking bath with this water helps to cure Itching.
10. Applying Milk on the body before taking bath also helps to get rid of Itching problems.
11. Banana pulp meshed with Lemon juice applied on the affected area helps to cure Itching.
12. Drinking few drops of Neem juice or applying Neem oil on the affected area helps to cure Itching.
13. Basil (Tulsi) juice mixed with Lemon juice applied on the body helps to stop Itching.
14. Mix two spoons of Coconut oil with one spoon of Tomato juice , this oil can be applied on the body before taking bath (with warm water) reduces Itching.
15. Taking 10 whole Black peppers (Kali mirch) powder with a spoon of Ghee, twice a day for few days cures Itching.
16. Harad (Haritaki) powder boiled in water to form a paste, this paste applied on the body with the help of a cloth cures Itching.
17. Garlic cloves boiled in any type of oil (used for body message), this oil applied on the affected area reduces Itching.
18. Pigeon pea (Arhar dal ) grinded and mixed with Curd, applied on the body reduces Itching.
19. Coconut oil mixed with small quantity of Lemon juice, applied on the affected area helps to reduce Itching.
20. Eating boiled White goose foot (Bathua) leaves for few days or washing affected area with its juice, reduces Itching.
21. Mix around 10 grams of Camphor (Kapoor) mixed with 100 grams of Coconut oil. This oil applied on the body reduces Itching.
22. Green gram (Moong ) paste applied on the affected area cures Itching.
23. Grinded Carrom (Ajwain) leaves applied on the body, half an hour before taking bath helps to cure Itching.
24. Drink milk mixed with grinded Carrom (Ajwain) leaves and Sugar, which helps to cure Itching.
Amazing Benefits of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Ayurvedic health treatment is the world's oldest holistic healing system.
It was developed more than 12000 years ago in India.
It's based on the simple belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit.
It believes in the principle of free treatment using herbs, roots and leaves of nature. You can also call it world's first open source medical system.
Read some of the health guides on Ayurvedic home remedies and share them with your friends and family. Implement them in real life and stay disease free.