Masturbation is the sexual stimulation of one’s own genitals for sexual arousal or other sexual pleasure, usually to the point of orgasm. It is commonly done by touching, stroking, or massaging the penis or clitoris until an orgasm is achieved. Some women also use stimulation of the vagina to masturbate or use vibrator. Men use hands or portable artificial sex toy vagina to derive pleasure.
Masturbation is a very common behavior, even among people who have a sex partner. In one national study, 95% of males and 89% of females reported that they have masturbated. Masturbation is the first sexual act experienced by most males and females. In young children, masturbation is a normal part of the growing child’s exploration of his or her body. Most people continue to masturbate in adulthood, and many do so throughout their lives.
For many young adults, it is absolutely normal to masturbate one to two times every day. Although, the number of times one masturbates in a week can vary from every person to person, it is okay to masturbate three to seven times a week. But for those in their 30s and 40s, the masturbation sessions can drop to two to three in a week. However, for many, masturbation can become a compulsion; they start showcasing an obsessive behaviour towards it. They start preferring masturbating over socializing, cannot stop thinking about masturbating next and it starts affecting their everyday habits and chores. Though the exact number of times that can label one as a masturbation addict is a very subjective matter, experts have agreed on masturbation addiction as over seven to eight times a week.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, which is considered as the bible of mental health conditions and diagnoses, recently added the category of behavioural addictions under the general heading of addictive disorders. These addictions don’t require the use of any chemical substances but can be just as addictive as chemical substances. Masturbation is one among them as it can be just as addictive as addiction to chemical substances.
Masturbation Addiction Self-Help
Addiction is caused by two brain chemicals, Dopamine and endorphins. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter which helps you experience pleasure. While, endorphins are the hormones which are released during the times of stress and physical activity. Endorphins help you in recovery process.
When you masturbate, the body releases dopamine, the chemical that enables you to feel sexual pleasure, and endorphins, once you are done masturbating. Over time, this release of brain chemicals is needed by your body more frequently.
Endorphins and dopamine are stress relievers. So, those who experience more stress than usual or are suffering from any mental health problems are most likely to become addicted to masturbation and the release of these chemicals. Hence, masturbating more than ideal is a reflection on a bad coping mechanism. It makes you avoid your problems rather than facing them head on.
When your brain releases dopamine, you experience similar feelings like a heroin addict does.
Are You Addicted to Masturbation?
If masturbation is a part of most of your thoughts and if it has started affecting your everyday life, you must check yourself for the following symptoms of masturbation addiction:
- Do you seek increasingly graphic or violent pornography?
- Do you feel ashamed of masturbating frequently?
- Do you frequently skip work or office to masturbate?
- Do you mostly masturbate to get tight sleep?
- Do you regularly skip sexual activities over masturbation?
- Are you facing trouble in any relationship because of your masturbation habit?
- Have you or do you masturbate at inappropriate places such as in public places, at work, at relatives, etc.?
- Do you feel frustrated, sad or depressed when you can’t masturbate?
- Do you mostly prefer reading or seeing pornographic materials during lunch or dinner?
- Do you face trouble spending time with your family or children, or in enjoying the activities you previously enjoyed?
How to Control Masturbation
If you exhibit some or all the above symptoms, don’t worry. There are many ways in which you can control your frequent habit of mastubation. We are listing over 22 simple methods that you can follow and quit masturbation for your health, career and life.
- Stay busy and focused
- Find other outlets to spend your time and energy
- Play sports, be creative, eat healthy and sleep well
- Limit your solitude
- Remove everything that can stimulate you in any way to watch porn
- Consume fruits and vegetables that increase energy
- Find someone to counsel you through your addiction
- Drink lots of water
- Do yoga (pranayam)
- Emptying the urinary bladder before going to bed is a good practice to control or avoid lustful dreams that lead to masturbation
- Drinking sage tea before sleeping is also a good treatment to control masturbation addiction.
- In case excessive masturbation already causing sex related issues to you – NF Cure capsules and Shilajit are excellent treatments for all sorts of sexual problems and even to cure the side effects of over masturbation
- If you have digestive problems and you spend more time in toilet following up with masturbation then try for quick release medications
- Develop new hobbies such as swimming, exercising and body building to keep this addiction away
- Avoid loneliness! This is one of the simple ways to quit masturbation. When you are lonely, you tend to do these things to pass time.
- Sleeping early is another way to quit excessive masturbation. According to research, those who sleep late have the tendency to watch porn or read intimate comics and get turned on as a result
- Turning to spiritual pursuits will make you feel better. There are options you can feel better and light by turning to spiritual things in life.
- Keep your hands busy and away from your genital regions. As soon as you get the feeling, get your hands busy with cleaning, gardening or even playing a video game.
- Cut short bathing time. If spending more time in the bath tub or in the shower gets you turned on, spend less time in the bathroom.
- Avoid meat and hot food. One of the simple ways to quit masturbation is to alter your diet. Turn to foods that will give you energy to do all the different activities successfully. Prefer green vegetables.
- Meditation is good for the mind and body. When you meditate, you are allowing your mind and body to think of other things apart from masturbation.
- Be motivated and never feel ashamed
Know answers to some of the complex queries (94% people asked these questions):
can masturbation cause erectile dysfunction?
can masturbation cause infertility in women?
can masturbation cause pimples?
does masturbation cause weakness?
does masturbation affect eyesight?
To become a masturbation expert, you need some simple guides, so to help you, we rounded up our top masturbation guides — from sexologists and lovemaking experts.
Yes, sometimes you can’t have sex with a partner, and masturbation is your best option to stay committed and not cheat your partner while enjoying the stimulation with fingers or toys.
Read and share the guides with your loved ones, let us help everyone to stay committed and enjoy masturbation.