It’s that time of year again hence we all promise to make a change for the better. Here’s a Los Angeles cardiologist whose wish list of six resolutions for a healthier heart will pay you dividends in 2008. Do you want to prevent heart attack? How about heart surgery recovery tips? Los Angeles Cardiology experts speak out.
1. Reduce stress. Try to take some time for yourself each and every day. Don’t lose sight of the big picture. Finally, listen to your body for when it says “enough”, it probably is.
2. Stop smoking. Stop smoking. Stop smoking.
3. Eat healthier. Drink low-fat milk. Take baby carrots or cherry tomatoes to work for lunch. Have fish for dinner twice a week. Have one green vegetable with each evening meal. Losing weight if overweight is obvious. Track your weight on paper each morning to chart your progress.
4. Control blood pressure if elevated. Watch your salt intake. Take your blood pressure pills regularly. Monitor on paper your morning blood pressure and review them with your doctor at follow-up visits.
5. Lower elevated cholesterol. Know your LDL (“bad” cholesterol) and HDL (“good” cholesterol) levels. Follow a prudent low cholesterol diet. Take your medications if prescribed regularly.
6. Exercise regularly. Even small amounts of daily exercise can provide significant heart benefits. Try an activity that can fit into your daily routineit doesn’t have to be a gym or a trainerwalking with a pedometer for 2 or 3 miles a day each morning would do just fine.
Enjoy the Holidays and have a happy and healthier New Year !
Mason Weiss, M.D., F.A.C.C., is a triple board certified physician with certification in internal medicine, general cardiology, and interventional cardiology. He has practiced medicine for 23 years and is a physician partner with the highly regarded APEX Cardiology team of physicians located at 501 East Hardy Street, Suite 200, Inglewood, California 90301 (310) 672-3900