Hair colour is the pigmentation of hair follicles due to two types of melanin: eumelanin and pheomelanin. Generally, if more eumelanin is present, the colour of the hair is darker; if less eumelanin is present, the hair is lighter. Levels of melanin can vary over time causing a person’s hair colour to change, and it is possible to have hair follicles of more than one color on the same person.
Children born with some hair colors may find it gradually darkens as they grow. Many blond, light brown, or red haired infants experience this. This is caused by genes being turned off and on during early childhood and puberty. Changes in hair color typically occur naturally as people age, eventually turning the hair gray and then white. This is called achromotrichia. Achromotrichia normally begins in the early to mid-twenties in men and late twenties in women.
Though recently it is seen that young people are facing problems of graying hairs due to change in lifestyle, eating habits and hectic schedules.
Premature Graying of hair is a common problem now a days. It can be because of chemical pollution in air and water, Use of shampoos, conditioners, hair driers, synthetic hair products, packed foods etc. Other than this our body factors like decreased Melanin pigment, too much of anger, depression, mental tension, sadness, cold, continuous exposure to hot sun, hereditary factors, hormonal imbalance, constipation, excessive coffee, tea, chocolate, alcohol consumption etc.
Ayurveda Home Remedies on Premature Graying
1. Applying Onion paste on the scalp for few days before taking bath helps grey hair to turn black gradually.
2. Lemon juice mixed with Gooseberry (Amla) powder applied on the scalp for few days helps grey hair to turn black gradually.
3. Eating Sesame (Til) seeds daily and applying its oil regularly helps grey hair to turn black.
4. Eating Fenu greek (Menthi) sprouts regularly and applying Fenu greek paste on the scalp an hour before taking bath once in a week helps to overcome grey hair problem.
5. Bael leaves grinded and applied 2 hours before taking bath regularly helps to overcome grey hair problem.
6. Durva (Dub, a grass used to worship Lord Ganesha) paste applied before taking bath regularly helps grey hair to turn black gradually.
7. Regularly applying Butter or Butter mixed with Fenu greek powder on the scalp and taking bath with cold water helps to overcome grey hair problem.
8. Half cup of Curd Mixed with a pinch of Black pepper (Kali mirch) powder and a spoon of Lemon juice applied 15 minutes before taking bath helps grey hair to turn black slowly.
9. Regular application of Henna (Mehandi) paste applied an hour before taking bath helps grey hair to turn black slowly.
10. Drinking Wheat grass juice everyday helps to overcome grey hair problem.
11. Boil Triphala (Triphala is composed of Harad (Haritaki), Amla (Indian gooseberries) and Behada (Bibhitaki ) powder in Gingery (Thil) oil and this filtered oil applied regularly on the scalp helps grey hair to turn black .
12. Guava (Amrud) leaves grinded and applied regularly on the hair before taking bath helps grey hair to turn black slowly.
13. Neem seeds grinded and applied on the scalp and boiled Neem leaves used for washing hair helps grey hair to turn black slowly.
14. Massaging scalp regularly with Ghee (Prepared from cow milk) also helps to overcome grey hair problem.
15. Drinking Carrot juice everyday helps to keep hair black and helps to overcome grey hair problem.