Jaundice, also known as icterus, is a yellowish pigmentation of the skin, the conjunctival membranes over the sclerae (whites of the eyes), and other mucous membranes caused by high blood bilirubin levels.
Jaundice is often seen in liver disease such as hepatitis or liver cancer. It may also indicate leptospirosis or obstruction of the biliary tract, for example by gallstones or pancreatic cancer, or less commonly be congenital in origin (e.g., biliary atresia).
Yellow discoloration of the skin, especially on the palms and the soles, but not of the sclera and mucous membranes (i.e. oral cavity) is due to carotenemia—a harmless condition important to differentiate from jaundice. Other things that can cause similar discoloration are, but not limited to, as a side effect to the use of drug mepacrine or excessive exposure to phenols.
In Jaundice, the skin and the front white portion of the eye turn yellow. It is a condition that takes place as a result of building up of a substance called Bilirubin. Newborn babies are more susceptible to jaundice, as it takes time for their livers to function properly. There are three kinds of jaundice that tend to affect adults, namely, Hemolytic jaundice, Hepatocellular jaundice and Obstructive jaundice.
Jaundice (Icterus) Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies
Read on to explore more on jaundice causes and symptoms.
- Extreme weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Chronic constipation
- Yellow discoloration of the skin, eyes and urine
- Mild pain in the liver
Common Causes Of Jaundice
Obstruction of bile ducts which can take place due to gallstones or inflammation of the liver
- Yellow fever
Jaundice home remedy treatment is quite effective. Following are some Jaundice cure home remedies. Read on for home remedy for Jaundice:
- In a glass of hot water, add ¼ tsp of turmeric powder. Drink this mixture twice or thrice everyday.
- Take a few fresh papaya leaves and make a paste. Take about 1/2 tsp of this paste and mix with 1 tsp honey and consume it everyday.
- Limejuice works wonders in treating jaundice. So, drink lots of fresh limejuice on a daily basis.
- Consume 1-cup juice extracted from radish leaves 2-3 times in a day.