Insomnia, (trouble sleeping), is a sleep disorder in which there is an inability to fall asleep or to stay asleep as long as desired. While the term is sometimes used to describe a disorder demonstrated by polysomnographic or actigraphic evidence of disturbed sleep, this sleep disorder is often practically defined as a positive response to either of two questions: "Do you experience difficulty sleeping?" or "Do you have difficulty falling or staying asleep?"
Insomnia is most often thought of as both a medical sign and a symptom that can accompany several sleep, medical, and psychiatric disorders characterized by a persistent difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep or sleep of poor quality. Insomnia is typically followed by functional impairment while awake. Insomnia can occur at any age, but it is particularly common in the elderly. Insomnia can be short term (up to three weeks) or long term (above 3–4 weeks); it can lead to memory problems, depression, irritability and an increased risk of heart disease and automobile related accidents.
Insomnia can be grouped into primary and secondary, or comorbid, insomnia.
Primary insomnia is a sleep disorder not attributable to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause. It is described as a complaint of prolonged sleep onset latency, disturbance of sleep maintenance, or the experience of non-refreshing sleep. A complete diagnosis will differentiate between free-standing primary insomnia, insomnia as secondary to another condition, and primary insomnia co-morbid with one or more conditions.
- 1 Insomnia (Sleeping Disorder) Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies
- 1.1 Insomnia symptoms (sleeping disorder) can include
- 1.1.1 Causes of Insomnia is classified acute insomnia and chronic insomnia
- 1.1.2 Insomnia (Sleeping Disorder) Prevention Tips
- 1.1.3 Insomnia (Sleeping Disorder): Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
- 1.1.4 Amazing Benefits of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
- 1.1.5 Recommended By Readers
- 1.1 Insomnia symptoms (sleeping disorder) can include
Insomnia (Sleeping Disorder) Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies
Insomnia symptoms (sleeping disorder) can include
- Difficulty falling asleep despite being tired.
- Trouble getting back to sleep when waking up in the night.
- Waking up too early in the morning.
- Relying on sleeping pills or alcohol to fall asleep.
- Not feeling refreshed after sleep.
- Daytime drowsiness, fatigue, or irritability.
Causes of Insomnia is classified acute insomnia and chronic insomnia
Causes of acute insomnia can include
- Significant life stress (job loss or change, death of a loved one, divorce, moving)
- Emotional or physical discomfort
- Environmental factors like noise, light, or extreme temperatures (hot or cold) that interfere with sleep
- Some medications (for example those used to treat colds, allergies, depression, high blood pressure, and asthma) may interfere with sleep
- Interferences in normal sleep schedule (jet lag or switching from a day to night shift, for example)
Causes of chronic insomnia include
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Chronic stress
- Pain or discomfort at night
To summarize, Insomnia is a condition in which person finds difficulty in getting sleep or disturbed sleep. Other causes of insomnia can be mental tension, lack of physical activity, over eating, health problems, irregular routine, erratic lifestyles, etc.
Insomnia (Sleeping Disorder) Prevention Tips
1. Establish a regular bed and rising time.
2. Drink at least 10 glasses of water each day.
2. Take healthy diet, Avoid alcohol, tobacco, simulants like coffee, tea, especially before sleep
3. Listening to some light music, reading a book of interest, creative thinking, Chanting Gods name helps in getting sleep.
4. Go for hot water bath or a body massage before sleep.
5. Sufficient physical activity or exercise during day time can help in getting good sleep during night.
6. Avoid watching TV for long hours.
7. Resist napping during day.
8. Do not skip meals during day and avoid eating late.
9. Ensure that the bed is comfortable and the environment relaxing.
10. Avoid reading erotic materials.
Insomnia (Sleeping Disorder): Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
1. Massaging foot sole with Mustard (Sarson) oil before going to bed helps to overcome Insomnia.
2. Poppy seeds (Khus Khus) dipped in water for an hour, grinded to form a paste. Boil this paste with Milk and Sugar. Drinking this is very effective to overcome Insomnia.
3. Eating Mango and drinking Milk or drinking Mango milkshake (Aam ras) regularly in the night helps to overcome Insomnia.
4. Eating a raw Onion or roasted Onion in the night also helps to get rid of Insomnia problem.
5. Nut meg (Joy phal) powder mixed with water taken in the night helps to overcome Insomnia.
6. Consuming lot of Curd or eating Curd with Sugar or sweet Lassi induces sleep and cures Insomnia.
7. Drinking hot Milk with a spoon of Ghee and Sugar in the night helps to get sleep and cures Insomnia.
8. Drinking a glass of Carrot juice everyday helps to cure Insomnia.
9. Drinking a spoon of Lemon juice mixed with a spoon of Honey in the night induces sleep and cures Insomnia.
10. Coriander (Dhania) leaves grinded with water and mixed with Sugar and eating this paste helps to get sleep and cures Insomnia.
11. Aniseeds (Sauf) boiled in water for 10 minutes, add Milk and Sugar. Drinking this before going to bed helps to get rid of Insomnia problem.
12. Cucumber (Kheera) piece rubbed on the foot sole makes a cooling effect on the body and helps to get sleep curing Insomnia.
13. Putting Castor oil (Erand) on the head or body massaged with Castor oil regularly helps in curing Insomnia.
14. Sprouted Horse gram (Kulthi) taken regularly helps to get sleep and cures Insomnia.
15. Consuming Dry fruits and Oat regularly helps to cure Insomnia.
16. Indian gooseberry (Amla) helps to improve the bodys immune system by providing necessary vitamins and iron. Eating this everyday helps in curing Insomnia.
Amazing Benefits of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Ayurvedic health treatment is the world's oldest holistic healing system.
It was developed more than 12000 years ago in India.
It's based on the simple belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit.
It believes in the principle of free treatment using herbs, roots and leaves of nature. You can also call it world's first open source medical system.
Read some of the health guides on Ayurvedic home remedies and share them with your friends and family. Implement them in real life and stay disease free.