Constipation is a serious problem for the young and the old. Taking in large quantities of fibre containing foods is the panacea for constipation. Grandmas home remedies are in plenty. While consuming fibre rich food one should never forget to take sufficient quantities of water.
1. The best grandmas home remedy for constipation is okra or lady’s finger. Eat one bowl of okra for 2-3 days and see the result yourself. As lady’s finger is just a vegetable there is no harm in eating more than a bowl too. Okra can be eaten in many forms. A lot of recipes are available on the internet. Refer good recipes which use large quantities of okra in it.
2. Another simple grandmas home remedy is a banana everyday.
3. Water in large quantities is another very simple grandmas home remedy. Do not drink water during eating food. Drink it before 30 mins of meal or after 1 hour of consuming food.
4. Another home remedy for constipation accompanied by stomach pain is to apply castor oil on the belly. This is best suited for kids. Do not apply castor oil when a child has fever or cold. Castor oil is a remedy for stomach ache and body heat.
5. One of the oldest and time tested grandmas home remedy is “raisins with seeds”. This home remedy works well in children. The large brown raisins with seeds are normally found in the traditional pharmacies in South India popularly known as “Naatu marundu kadai”. These raisins (say 5-6) have to be soaked in hot water for about 40-50 minutes. Then remove seeds, smash the soaked raisins, boil and filter. This filtered juice can be given to small kids who are normally on a semi-solid diet. Older kids can be given without filtering or even just raw brown big raisins. Use your discretion while dealing with your kids. Not all kids are the same. It is important that the entire process be done in a very hygienic manner.