Dry, flaky, itchy skin is uncomfortable and not attractive. If you have excessively dry skin you may even have red blotches on your face and body. The good news is that there is a dry skin treatment you can start using today, just make some minor lifestyle changes and you could help alleviate the worst of your dry skin problems.
1. Your environment can play a factor in your skin being too dry. Spending a lot of time inside where the air is overly dry and lacking moisture can help soak moisture from your skin like a sponge. Try to invest in and use a humidifier during the drier winter months.
2. Long hot showers might feel good, but they’re not good for your skin because they wash away your skins oils and make it dry out. Try taking shorter showers and use cooler water this will help maintain some of your skins natural oils.
3. Try to buy organic body washes, shampoos, deodorants, etc. Many of the popular brands of personal hygiene products contain harsh chemicals that be really hard on your skin. Look for products that use only gentle ingredients.
4. Drink plenty of water. It’s important that you add moisture starting on the inside. Keep your body hydrated. A good rule of thumb to determine if your body is getting enough water is to look at the color of your urine. If it’s a dark yellow you are already de-hydrated. Your urine should be a light yellow…like lemonade (sorry if that permanently puts you off lemonade!).
5. Watch what you wear. Some clothing is just dying to irritate your skin. You want to avoid any fabrics that are itchy, too tightly woven where your skin can’t breathe, and rough. We spend most of our day in clothes so it’s very important to pick fabrics that will feel nice next to your skin and avoid those that can irritate it.
And don’t forget the laundry detergent. Whatever you wash your clothes in will have a residue that will be next to your skin too. Make sure to find either organic detergents or at least those that are hypoallergenic and gentle.
6. And don’t forget about a quality moisturizer. That can help enormously. Just be aware that not all moisturizers are created equal and carefully look at the ingredients before you buy.
As you can see when it comes to dry skin treatment you do have some simple things that you can start doing today. Dry skin is
no fun. It’s unattractive and itchy, start making some of these simple changes in your daily routine and you might be able to get rid of your dry skin once and for all.