On average, people lose about 10% of their hair during a resting phase. Then after about three months, resting hair falls out and new hair begins to grow. The phase of new growing hair typically lasts anywhere from two to six years with hair growing about one-half to one-inch per month. The interesting thing is that as much as 90% of hair on your head is growing at any given time.
Shedding hair is a normal process. In fact, on a normal day, you would lose about 100 hairs although more if you were actually going through significant hair loss. Now, hair loss is usually associated with men but women can also go through hair loss. The cause of excessive hair loss could be a number of things. For starters, if you have undergone major surgery or illness, you might lose more hair for the following three months than you normally do because of stress.
Another common cause of excessive hair loss is due to hormonal changes within the body. This in itself could be from several things such as having a baby, dealing with an under or overly active thyroid, having estrogen or androgens out of balance, and so on. Then, certain types of drugs can also cause hair loss. In this case, once the medication is stopped, the excessive hair loss usually stops as well. The most common culprits include blood thinners, chemotherapy, excessive vitamin A, antidepressants, gout medication, and birth control pills.
Then, if you have a fungal infection of the scalp, you might also find your hair falling out more than usual. Finally, underlying disease can also be a challenge. For instance, if you are living with something such as diabetes, lupus, or another autoimmune disease, excessive hair loss is common. Remember, by taking the right medication to treat the problem, hair growth generally returns to normal.
Although some types of hair loss are genetic, you can also do a few things to help slow down or stop the process. For starters, avoid wearing your hair in cornrows, ponytails, or hot rollers, which tend to pull and stretch hair to the point of breakage. In addition, if hair follicles should become inflamed, excessive hair loss may occur. In this case, having your hair permed, colored, or treated with hot oil could be damaging. The key here is to only, have a professional work on your hair, using professional and safe products.
What are Causes of Hair Loss?
Hair loss can affect everybody at some point in their life and there are many causes of hair loss. Some causes are natural and cannot be stopped; other causes can easily be stopped. We have listed 5 of the most common causes of hair loss.
- Tight hair styles
Having your hair in a tight hair style such as braids or even a high pony tail can cause hair loss. This is referred to as traction alopecia; the hair on the scalp can begin to shed because the hair is put under extreme tension from the tight hair style.
Trichotillomania is the name given to the condition where an individual develops a habit of plucking or pulling the hair from their head and other areas of the body. The habit is seen as an obsessive compulsive disorder and people tend to pull the hair out when they are nervous or in stressful situations.
The condition, if severe, can lead to bald patches. However, if the underlying cause of the habit stops, then the hair typically grows back.
- Vitamin deficiency
Having a balanced diet and ensuring that your body gets the right vitamins and nutrients is an important part of hair growth. The correct nutrients can promote hair growth. Having a vitamin deficiency can lead to the loss of hair, deficiencies in protein and vitamin B are linked with hair loss.
A vitamin deficiency can be easily solved by both re-evaluating your diet and ensuring you get the correct nutrients, or by taking vitamin supplements.
Physical stress such as having surgery or psychological stress caused by major trauma, such as a death in the family, leading to hair loss. Stress can send the body into a state of shock which changes the hormone balance.
This can lead to telogen effluvium, which triggers your hair follicles into the resting phase. This causes hair to stop growing, and it begins to fall out a few months after. Your hair can begin to grow back if the stress stops.
- Male Pattern Baldness
Male pattern baldness is the leading cause of hair loss, over time the hair follicles begin to change and shrink which leans to the hair thinning. The hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) can increase and this works to destroy the hair follicles. Over time the amount of DHT can increase and completely destroy the hair follicles and this causes no hair to grow.
Do's and Don't for Hair Loss Problem
Following are some of the simple tips for hair care
- Do not apply chemical-based bleach, hair curler, dryers, chemical based gels and colors. These things dry your hair and look lifeless and hard.
- Clean your hairs regularly. Set a good routine for hair care.
- Drink plenty of water as water is good for health and hair.
- Regular trimming of hair will prevent split ends.
- Do not apply chemical based shampoo excessively as it takes away the natural shine.
- Include green vegetables, fruits, sprouts, honey, cereals, nuts, grains, milk products, and no cholesterol rich food in your diet.
- Take a well balanced diet for healthy skin and hair. Eat fish, soybeans and raw vegetable salads.
Home Remedies for Hair Care
Following are some of the effective home remedies for hair care:
- For falling hair squeeze the juice of a lemon in a bowl and add a part of the root of a banyan tree into it. Use this solution to wash the hair. When the bath is over, apply coconut oil on the scalp. Repeat this therapy for a few days. It is very effective in preventing hair loss.
- If you want to get rid of dandruff, mix some camphor in coconut oil. Apply this oil daily on the scalp. The application should be done nicely, with the fingertips working at the roots in the scalp. Dandruff will be easily removed in about fifteen days.
- Prepare a mixture of lemon juice and coconut oil. Apply this mixture on the hair and massage it deep into the scalp. Do this regularly for a few days. It will solve the problem of dandruff.
- For oily hairs apply lemon juice on your hair and keep it for 10-15 minutes and rinse off.
- You can also wash your hair using triphala powder, a natural and herbal hair care for oily hair.
- Olive oil is very useful for dry hair. Massage your hair using olive oil, as it nourishes hair and helps in its growth.
- Another easy home remedy for dry hair is honey and edible oil. Take edible oil and honey in a ratio of 1:1, mix it well and apply on hair, keep it for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- You can also try this simple and effective home remedy for dry hair. Apply a paste of egg yolk and water and keep it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. This is very useful hair care for dry hair.
- Regularly massage with hair oil like coconut oil, castor oil and olive oil are also useful home remedy for dry hair.
- You can also apply a mixture of egg yolks, vinegar and any hair oil on scalp and keep it for 10-15 minutes then wash with cold water. This is an effective remedy for dry hair.
Herbal Remedies for Hair Loss
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for hair loss:
- Coconut oil also helps in getting long and healthy hair. Take coconut oil depending upon the hair size and mix 2-3 raw amla in it and massage your hair with this mixture.
- Massage your hair with coconut milk or warm mustard oil containing henna. This will improves blood circulation and helps in hair growth.
- Apply spinach juice on the scalp. It prevents hair loss.
- You can also apply neem paste on your scalp and hair. This will fight against any kind of germs and lice.
- Massage your hair and scalp simply with your hand after your daily bath. This will improves blood circulation and prevents hair loss.
- Prepare a mixture by adding one tablespoon amla powder and lemon juice each. Add little water to it to make a thick paste. Use this mixture as a cleanser for 2-3 weeks. This will stop hair loss and makes it healthy and beautiful.
- Grind one tablespoon black pepper and lemon seeds each and prepare a paste using them. Apply this mixture on head and scalp. Keep it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse of using clean cold water. This will prevent hair loss and help in natural growth.
If the hair loss is extreme and you have tried everything you know from eating healthy to using good hair care products but nothing is working, you might visit with your doctor. First, he or she will look at what is going on with your body to see if medication, infection, or illness could be the problem. If not, blood work may be performed to look further at a possible cause. In some cases, your doctor may prescribe certain medication such as hormones for an imbalance or antibiotics for an infection. Other than that, you will find a number of excellent products now on the market that can help maintain the current amount of hair and in some cases, help with regrowth.
Are you going bald or losing hair very fast and worried about it?
Why men and women facing baldness or hair loss panic about losing hair but do nothing. Yes, there are plenty of options available to take care of your hair.
We are sharing hair loss guides below. Please read them to follow and regrow hair easily. Preventing hair loss is completely under your control.