Understanding Mold allergies

More and more are suffering from allergies. It affects about 20% of the general population.  Airborne allergens can travel easily for miles and affect an unsuspecting culprit. We need to understand the nature of the disease to help prevent and treat it.

Allergic rhinitis, also called nasal allergies, pollinosis, or hay fever occurs when an allergen comes into contact with the nasal membranes.  Ragweed allergies or hay fever usually flares up during the change of season from summer to fall, usually in mid-August and lasts until the first frost Each individual has their own tendency to develop allergies as it is passed down through one’s genes. An allergy is an overreaction of the immune system to a substance that is normally harmless to most people. But sometimes, the body’s immune system treats the allergen as an invader and tries to protect the body by releasing various chemicals. This hypersensitivity of our immune system results in allergy symptoms that could be quite uncomfortable. The symptoms may range from sneezing, coughing, runny nose, itchy eyes, nose and throat, to headache, smell impairment, and wheezing.

Mold allergies occur when an allergic individual develops a hypersensitivity reaction to mold spores.  Mold spores are microscopic particles that get released from molds and become airborne.  Molds are found in damp areas, both in indoor or outdoor areas.  Mold spores can be released from the soil when disturbed by mowing the grass, raking the leaves or even after a gentle rain shower. Mold problems can occur indoors when there are water or humidity problems within a building.  Mold spores can become dispersed indoors even with the slightest disturbance. The best way to avoid outdoor mold exposure is to stay indoors when activities that disturb the soil occurs such as mowing, raking or after a slight shower.  Indoor mold problems can be mitigated by controlling water or humidity problems, and using fungicidal agents such as bleach.  These environmental control measures are important to prevent exposure and result in decreased allergy symptoms.  It would be best to be evaluated by an allergist to get a better understanding of one’s allergies, and get advice on the appropriate environmental control measures.

3 Responses to Understanding Mold allergies

  1. mendhak says:

    I’ve had asthma since I was 6 or 7 years old but over the past 5 years it has been giving more trouble. I went to a doctor and was prescribed Flovent to use 2 puffs a day and use Ventolin when needed, which is about once or twice a day. My Pulminologist did all kinds of tests on me and diagnosed me chronic asthma. The Flovent is for prevention but my asthma still bothers me a little everyday during cold weather. I usually don’t any symptoms at all during the summer but last summer it rained almost everyday here and I think that made me have asthma because of the dampness and mold in my house. the house I live in currently, has a lot of mildew/mold and is full of dust and pet hair. we’ve been here for years and it’s never been vacuumed in here and it is awful in here. Should I move out of here? I have a trailer that is clean and in good shape I could move into. Also maybe we could clean this house but a lot needs to be done besides vacuuming. The roof leaks like you would’nt believe, it leaks buckets when it rains and the roof is actually falling in. and the washing machine water runs under the house, so there is standing water under the house causing it to be extremely damp in here, sometimes the doors swell shut it is so bad and the paint is peeling off everywhere. So doesn’t it sound like this place is causing a lot of problems for me and I need to either move out or get this place fixed if we can? Does anyone else here have daily trouble with asthma during winter or other times or all the time? I’m really troubled by this that i’m dealing with now. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or answers, I really, truly appreciate the understanding and kindness.

  2. timq3dimensionscom says:

    I am a somewhat allergy prone person (i’m allergic to cats, grasses, pollen, mold, etc, not that i treat any of it), and I recently read that alcohol can contain histamine, as well as elevate the bodies natural levels of histamines (sounds alot like an allergy). Does this hold true for every type of alcohol? I understand that beer would engender an allergic response because of its gluten, and wine because of their sulfites, but what about hard liquor/ whiskey/ rum? would these also deliver nasal congestion after ingesting them?

  3. Sonny says:

    I am allergic to Vancomyacin and it just seems weird that peoples bodies wouldn’t be able to tolerate a certain thing most people can.

Share your suggestion or experience here

error: Share on FB, Twitter, WhatsApp