Stretch marks are lines on the skin, which usually happens when the skin is stretch a lot over a short period. This can be seen especially during pregnancy. The medical term for stretch mark is stria.
Stretch marks starts as red lines on the skin that are slightly lifted. The color of the stretch marks depend on the color of the skin of the person has it. They may sometimes look pink, reddish brown or dark brown.
They are usually similar in lines. The appearance of the skin is lean and grey and sometime appears like a scar. They are usually pale and happen to be less obvious.
Stretch marks can come out anywhere on skin that has been stiffed. They normally take place on parts of the skin where fat is stocked, like the tummy, breasts, thighs and buttocks.
It is a wrong notion that only woman can have stretch marks since they are the only ones capable of conceiving. Even men can have stretch marks themselves.
What causes stretch marks is that when the skin is suddenly stretched. The outer layer of the skin is not really affected by this, but the dermis becomes thinner and develops insignificant tears.
Study in Index
Stretch marks problem!
There is an appearance of stretch marks in the body because of the following conditions:
Almost 90 percent of women who got pregnant develop stretch mark on the areas of tummy, legs or thighs, breast and shoulders. Normally, this stretch mark appears on the sixth or seventh month of pregnancy.
2. Development of adolescence
Boys often get stretch marks on their shoulder while girls get them on their hips, thighs and breast since they tend to grow quickly. Similarly, using tight lingerie of wrong size and fabric cause stretch marks.
Athletes who train or go to the gym to become bigger and stronger sometimes get stretch marks.
4. Weight loss/weight gain
Putting on a lot of weight over a short time can also cause stretch marks. And if you are on a diet and intended to lose weight, there is a possibility in the appearance of stretch marks.
Stretch marks treatment
On relieving stretch marks, nothing is known as an exact treatment for stretch marks. But the following initial treatments might help you to slightly fade stretch marks.
- Moisturizers and creams – Creams containing alpha hydroxyl acid (AHAs) can help reduce stretch marks. Creams are not yet proven to prevent stretch marks but they may lessen the ugly appearance of stretch marks.
- Laser surgery – This does not remove stretch marks, but it can help them not be noticeable.
- Surgery – This is a very expensive and extreme option but it can remove stretch marks bellow the belly button.
- Food – In order to avoid stretch marks it is important to maintain a healthy weight. Diets that can cause your weight to change quickly can cause stretch marks.
- Do not scratch – Never scratch on the itching sensation at affected part.
You also have to massage your skin everyday with a moisturizer in order to improve the blood circulation that encourages new tissue to appear. It is also important to eat healthy foods, which help to keep healthy skin.
Lastly, if you are a pregnant woman and do not want to have stretch mark, eat healthy and advisable foods. It is not really recommended for you to eat a lot of food. You just need to take extra calories in order to nourish you unborn child. But take note, these calories should come from a well balanced diet.
Stretch marks home remedies
Many have discovered home remedies for stretch marks that might not completely erase them, but at least make them look oh so much better!
- Take for example the stick of cocoa butter. How often have you gone to your beauty supply store to purchase creams and lotions that contained cocoa butter to varying degrees? Some contain small traces, while other formulas are built around the ingredient in their entireties. Yet have you ever considered using that stick of cocoa butter which contains nothing else to see if your stretch marks will respond well to it? There are those who are grateful for that moment of insight that has driven them to go straight to the source from which so many different beauty formulas derive, and to buy that stick of straight coca butter to see their stretch marks diminish.
- The more adventurous souls have taken to mixing together coca butter, liquid vitamin A and E, and also Aloe Vera. Generally speaking, a cup of Aloe Vera mixed with one cup of coca butter, and fortified with the content of 10 capsules of Vitamin A and 20 of Vitamin E is known to work wonders on the thighs of many.
- Another recipe calls for the mix of half a cup of cod liver oil, half a cup of extra virgin olive oil, and the content of 10 vitamin E capsules. If you can stand the smell of the cod liver oil, this remedy is said to work wonders!
- Other home remedies rely on the more exotic oils, such as mink, ostrich and even alligator fat! It is anyones guess if it is the exotic oil that works or the fact that it is helping the skin to stay supple. Vegetarians in particular refuse to go this route, and thus will rely on highest quality olive oil and rub it into the skin repeatedly.
Whatever you choose to try, remember that you will not be able to undo the damage already done to your skin. At this point in time your only option is to minimize the visible after effects of the tearing dermis. Granted, there are a number of commercial creams available which claim to work wonders on existing stretch marks, and the odds are good that some of them will really do a great job but why spend dollars per month for these expensive creams when a stick of cocoa butter consume less time and money and will have effectiveness almost similar.