Epistaxis or a nosebleed is the relatively common occurrence of hemorrhage from the nose, usually noticed when the blood drains out through the nostrils. There are two types: anterior (the most common), and posterior (less common, more likely to require medical attention). Sometimes in more severe cases, the blood can come up the nasolacrimal duct and out from the eye. Fresh blood and clotted blood can also flow down into the stomach and cause nausea and vomiting.
Epistaxis or Nose bleeding is a common problem which can be treated with simple home remedies.The causes are nose picking with some sharp object, allergy, cracks in the nostril due to dryness, cold, excessive heat in the body etc.
Nose Bleeding Treatment
Before understanding ayurvedic home remedies for nose bleeding problem, it is important to know certain situations when you must see a doctor to treat your nose bleeding problem.
See a doctor immediately if you:
1. Bleed severely and profusely
2. Bleed for more than 30 minutes
3. Have a child under two years old with a nosebleed
4. Start bleeding following an injury or trauma
5. Take blood-thinning drugs
Nose Bleeding (Epistaxis) Causes
Local factors for Nose Bleeding (Epistaxis)
- Blunt trauma (usually a sharp blow to the face such as a punch, sometimes accompanying a nasal fracture)
- Foreign bodies (such as fingers during nose-picking)
- Inflammatory reaction (e.g. acute respiratory tract infections, chronic sinusitis, rhinitis or environmental irritants)
Other possible factors for Nose Bleeding (Epistaxis)
- Anatomical deformities (e.g. septal spurs or hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia)
- Insufflated drugs (particularly cocaine)
- Intranasal tumors (e.g. nasopharyngeal carcinoma or nasopharyngeal angiofibroma)
- Low relative humidity of inhaled air (particularly during cold winter seasons)
- Nasal cannula O2 (tending to dry the olfactory mucosa)
- Nasal sprays (particularly prolonged or improper use of nasal steroids)
- Middle ear barotrauma (such as from descent in aircraft or ascent in scuba diving)
- Consumption of tainted whey protein supplements that contain arsenic
- Surgery (e.g. septoplasty and functional endoscopic sinus surgery)
Systemic factors of nose Bleeding
- Infectious diseases (e.g. common cold)
- Alcohol (due to vasodilation)
- Blood dyscrasias
- Connective tissue disease
- Drugs—aspirin, fexofenadine/Allegra/Telfast, warfarin, ibuprofen, clopidogrel, prasugrel, isotretinoin, desmopressin, ginseng and others
- Envenomation by mambas, taipans, kraits, and death adders
- Liver diseases—Hepatic cirrhosis causes deficiency of factor II, VII, IX,& X
- Heart failure (due to an increase in venous pressure)
- Hematological malignancy
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Pregnancy (rare, due to hypertension and hormonal changes)
- Vascular disorders
- Vitamin C and vitamin K deficiency
- Von Willebrand’s disease
- Recurrent epistaxis is a feature of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome)
- Mediastinal compression by tumours (raised venous pressure)
Nose Bleeding (Epistaxis): Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
1. Putting a piece of Ice (Baraf) on the head or putting a wet cloth on the head is a good remedy to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
2. Putting a drop of Lemon juice in both the nostrils, helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis immediately.
3. Lie down putting your head backside with some pillows and then put 2-3 drops of pure Ghee in the nostrils and try to inhale slowly which helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
4. Putting Onion juice drops in the nostrils, helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
5. Putting Neem juice drops in the nostrils, helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
6. Smelling Indian Cow (desi not jarsi) dung, helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
7. Drinking Durva (Dub, a grass used to worship Lord Ganesha) juice mixed with Sugar, stops nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
8. Black Cotton leaves grinded and squeezed to extract juice, this juice applied on the centre of the head, stops nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
9. Putting Sweet grape juice in the nostrils, helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
10. Use of Gooseberry (Amla) is a good remedy to cure nose bleeding or Epistaxis. Drinking Gooseberries juice with water or applying Gooseberries paste on the centre of the head or Gooseberries juice put in the nostrils, all are helpful to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
11. Putting Pomegranate (Anar) juice in the nostrils, stops nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
12. Putting Basil (Tulsi) juice in the nostrils, cures nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
13. Eating a piece of Coconut everyday in the empty stomach, helps to overcome nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
14. Black gram (Urad dal) grinded with water and this paste applied on the forehead, helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
15. Drinking Ash Gourd (Petha) juice everyday keeps the body cool and stops nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
16. Dip 2 Figs (Anjeer) in water overnight. Eating them with water in the morning, helps to overcome nose bleeding or Epistaxis problem.
17. Drinking milk with a spoon of pure Ghee, helps to stop nose bleeding or Epistaxis.
Amazing Benefits of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Ayurvedic health treatment is the world’s oldest holistic healing system.
It was developed more than 12000 years ago in India.
It’s based on the simple belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit.
It believes in the principle of free treatment using herbs, roots and leaves of nature. You can also call it world’s first open source medical system.
Read some of the health guides on Ayurvedic home remedies and share them with your friends and family. Implement them in real life and stay disease free.