A mouth ulcer (oral ulcer, or a mucosal ulcer) is an ulcer that occurs on the mucous membrane of the oral cavity. Mouth ulcers are very common, occurring in association with many diseases and by many different mechanisms, but usually there is no serious underlying cause.
Common causes of oral ulceration include rubbing on sharp edges of teeth, fillings, crowns, false teeth (dentures), braces (orthodontic appliances). Accidental biting caused by a lack of awareness of painful stimuli in the mouth (following a local anesthetic e.g. during dental treatment) may cause ulceration which the person becomes aware of as the anesthetic wears off and the full sensation returns.
Most mouth ulcers that are not associated with recurrent aphthous stomatitis are caused by local trauma. The mucous membrane lining of the mouth is thinner than the skin, and easily damaged by mechanical, thermal (heat/cold), chemical or electrical means, or by irradiation.
Mouth Ulcer Treatment
What are causes of mouth ulcer?
Eating rough foods (e.g. potato chips) can damage the lining of the mouth. Some people cause damage inside their mouths themselves, either through an absent minded habit or as a type of deliberate self harm (factitious ulceration). Examples include biting the cheek, tongue or lips, rubbing a finger nail, pen or tooth pick inside the mouth. Tearing (and subsequent ulceration) of the upper labial frenum may be a sign of child abuse (non-accidental injury). Iatrogenic ulceration can also occur during dental treatment, when incidental abrasions to the soft tissues of the mouth are common. Some dentists apply a protective layer of petroleum jelly to the lips before carrying out dental work to minimize the number of incidental injuries.
Electrical burns in the mouth are usually caused by chewing on live electrical wiring (an act that is relatively common among young children). Saliva acts as a conducting medium and an electrical arc flows between the electrical source and the tissues, causing extreme heat and possible tissue destruction.
Microwave ovens sometimes produce food which is cold externally and very hot internally, and this has led to a rise in the frequency of intra-oral thermal burns. Thermal food burns are usually on the palate or posterior buccal mucosa, and appear as zones of erythema and ulceration with necrotic epithelium peripherally.
Many infections can cause oral ulceration. The most common are Herpes simplex virus (herpes labialis, primary herpetic gingivostomatitis), Varicella Zoster (chicken pox, shingles), and coxsackie A virus (hand, foot and mouth disease). Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) creates immunodeficiencies which allow opportunistic infections or neoplasms to proliferate. Bacterial processes leading to ulceration can be caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (tuberculosis) and Treponema pallidum (syphilis).
They may form individually or multiple ulcers may appear at the same time (a “crop” of ulcers). Once formed, the ulcer may be maintained by inflammation and/or secondary infection. Rarely, a mouth ulcer that does not heal for many weeks may be a sign of oral cancer.
Mouth ulcer Symptoms and Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
Symptoms of mouth ulcers?
You may have a mouth ulcer if you have:
- A painful sore or sores inside your mouth, on the tongue, soft palate (the back portion of the roof of your mouth), or inside your cheeks.
- Sores in your mouth that are round, white, or grey in colour, with a red edge or border.
In severe mouth ulcer attacks, you may also experience:
- Physical sluggishness.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
Mouth ulcer is a painful bubble inside the mouth on lips, tongue, gums etc. These can be small, large or in clusters. These create burning and pain.Causes of mouth ulcer are due to nutritional deficiencies, infection, allergic to some medicines, excess stomach heat etc.Here are some home remedies which helps to cure these bubbles or Mouth ulcer.
Mouth ulcer : Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
1. Applying Honey or pure Ghee or Glycerin on the bubbles helps to cure Mouth ulcer faster.
2. Eating Banana mixed with Curd in the morning gives instant relief from Mouth ulcer.
3. Slowly chewing Vaali leaf ( Basale soppu in Kannada ) gives a quick relief from Mouth ulcer.
4. Eating a raw Tomato or washing mouth with Tomato juice helps to cure Mouth ulcer.
5. Durva (Dub, a grass used to worship Lord Ganesha) boiled in water, filtered and this decoction used as a mouth wash cures mouth ulcers.
6. Washing mouth with Warm Bitter gourd ( Karela ) juice mixed with a pinch of Alum powder (Phitkari) or only Bitter gourd juice, gives relief from Mouth ulcer.
7. Warm water mixed with Salt and Lemon juice used as a mouth wash helps to get relief from Mouth ulcer.
8. Tender Guava (Amrud) leaves boiled in water with Salt and filtered. This decoction used as a mouth wash cures Mouth ulcer.
9. Gooseberry (Amla) leaves boiled in water and filtered. Washing mouth with this decoction helps to cure Mouth ulcer faster.
10. Harad (Haritaki) powder mixed with Honey applied on the bubbles helps to cure Mouth ulcer.
11. Chewing Poppy seeds (Khus Khus) with dry Coconut or dry Coconut with Sugar candy (Mishri) helps to get relief from Mouth ulcer.
12. Camphor (Kapoor) with pure Ghee can be applied on the bubbles and washed later. This can be done 2-3 times a day to get relief from Mouth ulcer.
13. Chewing Henna (Mehandi) leaves, or Henna leaves boiled in water and filtered, and use of this decoction as a mouth wash, helps in curing Mouth ulcer.
14. Boil Turmeric powder in water and this warm decoction used as a mouth wash helps in curing Mouth ulcer.
15. Pomegranate (Anar) skin boiled in water, filtered and this decoction used for washing mouth gives a great relief from Mouth ulcer.
16. Chewing Mint (Pudina) leaves gives relief from Mouth ulcer.
17. Chewing Makoy leaves gives quick relief from Mouth ulcer.
18. Drinking Goat milk or fresh milk just after milking cow (without boiling) helps to get relief from Mouth ulcer.
19. Eating boiled Ragi everyday prevents Mouth ulcer as it keeps the stomach cool.
20. Eating Aniseeds (Sauf) after meals prevents Mouth ulcer.
21. Boil Coriander seeds (Dhania) in water and filter. Washing mouth with this decoction or just applying Coriander leaves paste on the bubbles gives relief from Mouth ulcer.
22. Drinking Gooseberry juice with Cumin powder (Jeera) and Buttermilk (Chach) or drinking Gooseberry juice with Honey helps in curing Mouth ulcer.
Amazing Benefits of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Ayurvedic health treatment is the world’s oldest holistic healing system.
It was developed more than 12000 years ago in India.
It’s based on the simple belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit.
It believes in the principle of free treatment using herbs, roots and leaves of nature. You can also call it world’s first open source medical system.
Read some of the health guides on Ayurvedic home remedies and share them with your friends and family. Implement them in real life and stay disease free.