The Nimbu (lemon) is a species of small evergreen tree native to India, medicinal properties of lemon is clearly mentioned in Ayurveda, the world’s first, oldest and biggest home remedies repository from India.
Lemon juice, rind, and zest are used in a wide variety of foods and drinks. Lemon juice is used to make lemonade, soft drinks, and cocktails. It is used in marinades for fish, where its acid neutralizes amines in fish by converting them into nonvolatile ammonium salts, and meat, where the acid partially hydrolyzes tough collagen fibers, tenderizing the meat, but the low pH denatures the proteins, causing them to dry out when cooked. Lemon juice is frequently used in the United Kingdom to add to pancakes, especially on Shrove Tuesday.
Lemon juice is also used as a short-term preservative on certain foods that tend to oxidize and turn brown after being sliced (enzymatic browning), such as apples, bananas, and avocados, where its acid denatures the enzymes.
Lemon juice and rind are used to make marmalade and lemon liqueur. Lemon slices and lemon rind are used as a garnish for food and drinks. Lemon zest, the grated outer rind of the fruit, is used to add flavor to baked goods, puddings, rice, and other dishes.
The leaves of the lemon tree are used to make a tea and for preparing cooked meats and seafoods.
The tree’s ellipsoidal yellow fruit is used for culinary and non-culinary purposes throughout the world, primarily for its juice, which has both culinary and cleaning uses. The pulp and rind (zest) are also used in cooking and baking. The juice of the lemon is about 5% to 6% citric acid, which gives a sour taste. The distinctive sour taste of lemon juice makes it a key ingredient in drinks and foods such as lemonade and lemon meringue pie.
Lemon is a health and endless beauty receptacle. We will never manage to thank it for all the free benefits it gives us trough its vitamins with miraculous effects for beauty and vigor.
Ayurveda : medicinal benefits of Lemon
Lemon is a look likes orange which is very useful in your daily life. It use for good health and endless beauty. Some natural tips by using lemon
- Take half of lemon piece , rub it rough skin like knee,elbows,heels for removing roughness. Let it for few moments then wash and massage this portion with moisturizing cream.
- Make a mixture of some slice lemon,scatter on it 2 spoons of fresh mint leaves and then pour 1 liter of boiling water. Leave for 3-4 minutes then take a steam bath for last 10 minutes. While you are taking steam bath , that time your head should be cover with towel.
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice mix with egg yolk. After 5 minutes , apply it on your cheeks. Let it for last 15 minutes,wash with warm water and wipe out cheek with towel for dry. Then apply moisturizing cream.
- You can use lemon piece to keep whitens and stronger of your nails and removes spots in your palm after cooking.
- For refreshing bath and tired feet , take lemon slices put it wash bowl tub’s water. Before going to bed,soak your feet in water for 15 minutes and rub your heels. Wash out and wipe out with towel.
- When you feel tired , drink a glass of lemon water without sugar.
- Chew a slice of lemon from time to time for brighten teeth and refreshing mouth.
- Mix 1 spoons lemon juice, 1 spoon sugar, and 100 ml milk,Apply it on the face with a cotton pad or cotton. Leave it for 1 minute then wipe it off with warm water. Skin will be glow as a crystal.
- Add 2 spoons of almond oil with four drops lemon juice. Massage it before ½ hr taking bath. This will make your skin soft and smooth.
- Remove neck darkness by applying mixture of Bengal gram flour and 4 spoon of lemon juice and some milk which helps to decrease the dark complexion.
- For dandruff problem, mix few tablespoons of lemon juice with little warm olive oil. Gently massage oil your scalp. Keep it 15 minute in your head, then wash with shampoo.
- If you drink warm lemon juice with honey at every morning in empty stomach, it will help to reduce weight.
- Combine lemon juice with fresh cream and make it natural moisturizing lotions, it helps prevent anti age marks and dryness on face.