Hair loss, also known as alopecia or baldness, is a loss of hair from the head or body.
Baldness can refer to general hair loss or male pattern hair loss, in some cases female hair loss. Some types of hair loss can be caused by alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder. The extreme forms of alopecia areata are alopecia totalis, which involves the loss of all head hair, and alopecia universalis, which involves the loss of all hair from the head and the body.
Hair loss (Baldness) and hypotrichosis can have many causes, including fungal infection, traumatic damage, such as by compulsive pulling (trichotillomania), as a result of radiotherapy or chemotherapy, and as a result of nutritional deficiencies such as iron deficiency.
Symptoms of baldness include hair loss in patches usually in circular patterns, dandruff, skin lesions, and scarring. Alopecia areata (mild – medium level) usually shows in unusual hair loss areas e.g. eyebrows, backside of the head or above the ears where usually the male pattern baldness does not affect. In male-pattern hair loss, loss and thinning begin at the temples and the crown and either thins out or falls out. Female-pattern hair loss occurs at the frontal and parietal.
Baldness (Hair Loss) Treatment
Hair loss or Baldness can be categorized into two main categories:
(A) Scarring – which leads to permanent destruction of the hair follicle. The vast majority of hair loss is nonscarring and includes such conditions as pattern baldness, telogen effluvium and alopecia areata.
(B) Non-scarring – in which the hair follicles remain intact. Scarring alopecia is less common and includes such conditions as discoid lupus, lichen planopilaris, folliculitis decalvans, traction alopecia and central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia.
Overall, the majority of hair loss in both men and women is pattern baldness, also referred to as androgenetic alopecia. Both genetic and hormonal factors play a role in pattern baldness. Another common cause of hair loss is telogen effluvium or excessive hair shedding.
Causes of Baldness (Hair Loss)
Factors most likely to cause Hair loss or Baldness:
1. Medications, vitamins, or minerals: medications used to treat high blood pressure, heart problems, depression or gout; chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer patients; and in some cases, unusually high levels of vitamin A or low levels of iron or protein. For women, birth control pills can cause hair loss.
2. Illness, including thyroid disease and severe infection.
3. Scalp conditions, including psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, tinea capitis and folliculitis.
4. Trauma, including traction alopecia resulting from certain hair styles that cause trauma to the hair follicles and trichotillomania resulting from repetitive pulling and breaking of one’s own hair.
Conventional Treatment options for Hair loss (Baldness):
1. Therapies for hair loss include identifying and treating underlying cause, topical minoxidil, antiandrogen medication and hair transplantation in selected patients.
2. Minoxidil (Rogaine) is FDA-approved for treating male and female pattern baldness. Minoxidil is a topical solution that is applied by directly rubbing it onto the scalp where hair growth is desired. It is available over-the-counter and does not require prescription.
3. Finasteride is FDA-approved to treat male pattern baldness. Finasteride is not approved for female pattern baldness. Like all prescription products, Finasteride should be given under a physician’s care.
4. Permanent hair loss can also be treated by hair transplantation or hair replacement surgery. Hair replacement surgery is a cosmetic procedure and includes such replacement procedures as micro-grafting, slit grafting, punch grafting, and scalp reduction. The type of hair loss as well as the patient’s circumstances and desires determine which hair replacement procedures are most suitable.
Fruit Juices/Vegetables for Hair Loss (Baldness) Treatment
These are 10 extremely beneficial juices that can assist in hair growth to cure baldness and hair loss.
We all know that fresh fruits and vegetables are highly beneficial for our health, this is why some people religiously drink fruit and vegetable-based juices as a healthy beverage alternative.
Aloe Vera Juice for Hair Loss
This juice contains vitamins that make the hair strong. The enzymes present in aloe vera juice not only nourishes but also moisturizes the scalp to get rid of itchiness and dandruff. You must regularly apply aloe vera juice on your hair and scalp to achieve this.
Kiwi juice to treat Baldness
Onion juice for Hair Growth
Onion juice can be applied on the scalp to enhance hair growth and prevent greying of hair. Onion is rich in sulfur and is thus beneficial to nourish hair follicles.
As we all know, this juice is rich in various vitamins and minerals. Application of this juice is beneficial to prevent itchiness of the scalp and promotes hair growth.
This juice is rich in antioxidants and various vitamins and minerals. It can either be consumed orally or leaves of guava can be boiled in water until a concentrated liquid is formed, which can then be applied on the scalp.
Garlic juice helps to restore the quality of hair strands and applying this juice on the scalp helps to increase blood flow to hair roots.
The enzymes present in cucumber juice prevents hair loss and enhances blood circulation to the hair follicles. Consumes a glass of cucumber juice every day to enjoy its benefits.
This juice helps to enhance hair growth. Crush and dilute cilantro leaves in water until a paste is formed and then apply in on your scalp for an hour.
It is enriched with beta-carotene that adds luster and color to the hair. Vitamin C present in carrot also helps to nourish and restore the strength of hair strands.
This juice is rich in vitamin C and helps to stimulate hair growth as well. Crush a few fresh strawberries and apply it on hair and scalp to impart luster them.
Baldness (Hair Loss): Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies
Main causes of baldness are mental tensions, fungal infections, thyroid problem, hormonal changes, chemotherapy, Blood thinners, menopause, heredity etc. By natural home remedies we can overcome this baldness problem.
1. Pomegranate leaves grinded and this paste applied on the scalp regularly helps to overcome baldness problem.
2. Applying Lemon juice on the scalp helps in growing new hairs and thus helps in curing baldness.
3. Applying Onion paste regularly on the baldy area helps in growing new hairs and thus helps in curing baldness.
4. Applying Coriander (Dhania) paste regularly on the baldy area helps in growing new hairs and thus helps in curing baldness.
5. Banana pulp meshed with Lemon juice applied on the scalp regularly helps to overcome baldness problem.
6. Applying Neem oil on the baldy area for some period helps in growing new hairs and thus helps in curing baldness.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies Health Guides
What is Ayurvedic medicine, and what are other benefits of homemade Ayurvedic medicine? Learn that and more in this Ayurvedic home remedy guides given below.
Read some of the highly recommended health guides on Ayurvedic home remedies and share them with your friends and family. Implement them in real life and stay disease free.