What are Piles / Hemorrhoids? Piles / hemorrhoids are basically enlarged veins at the lower end of the rectum, near the anus. An increased pressure on the rectum and the anus, common during constipation, is believed to be the prime reason of development of hemorrhoids. which may also sometimes lead to rectal bleeding. Hemorrhoids or piles are often found to be occurring more commonly in middle aged and older individuals.
Ayurvedic Cure for Piles/Hemorrhoids
Basically, there are two different types of hemorrhoids depending upon their location-internal and external. Internal hemorrhoids are located in the inner lining of the rectum and cannot be felt. They are usually painless and can also lead to bleeding. External hemorrhoids, however, can be painful and swollen, and are located on the skin around the anus, and can be felt easily.
Causes of Piles / Hemorrhoids
However, there are many other factors that may increase an individual’s risk of suffering from the condition. Some of them are listed below-
• Pregnancy– post-partum hemorrhoids and pregnancy hemorrhoids are getting common, and this is mostly due to expansion of the uterus during pregnancy and also possibly due to strain on the rectal wall during childbirth.
• Genetic constitution– it is believed that our genetic makeup may also have an impact on the development of piles. A family history of hemorrhoids could put an individual at a greater risk of suffering from the condition.
• Sedentary lifestyle– sitting in a particular posture for long hours without movement can also lead to development of hemorrhoids. Infact, many researchers believe that lack of physical activity may be one of the major reasons for the increase in hemorrhoid-affected people today.
Symptoms of Piles / Hemorrhoids
Pain, irritation and a feeling of protusion and swelling near the anal region is the first sign of development of hemorrhoids. If cleaning and rubbing the area near the swelling tends to aggravate it further, it is a clear indication of formation of hemorrhoids. Bright red colored stool is the sure shot indication of presence of internal hemorrhoids.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Piles / Hemorrhoids
Since Ayurvedic medicine involves a lot of changes in the diet and lifestyle, some remedies to prevent and treat hemorrhoids are fairly simple and lifestyle related. Here we’ve listed down some of the common Ayurvedic remedies to treat hemorrhoids.
• Avoid eating foods that are hard to digest. Since hemorrhoids tend to form due to an increased pressure on the rectal walls, eat foods that are light and easy to pass as stools. Consume more raw, fiber-rich fruits and vegetables.
• Increase physical activity; if you have been a couch potato for a long time, it’s time to get up and exercise. Moderate exercise doesn’t just help treat hemorrhoids, but also prevents many other lifestyle related disorders.
• Eat foods that improve digestion; if you have a weak digestive system, add probiotic-rich foods to your diet. You could also supplement your diet with probiotic supplements that make digestion easier and soften the stools, putting less pressure on the rectal walls.
• Dried figs are yet another amazing Ayurvedic treatment for piles. Soak some dried figs in warm water overnight, and eat them the first thing in the morning.
• A mixture of the juice of a lemon, ginger and fresh mint, along with honey, can be effective in treating piles by improving digestion.
• Increase the water intake. A dehydrated body can cause the stools to become hard, making them difficult to pass; drinking more water can make passing stools easier.
• Papaya, mango seeds, sesame seeds, bitter gourd, turnip, rice, wheat, radish, ginger, onion, jambul fruit and other fiber-rich foods should be added more to the diet as a remedy for piles.