Diarrhea or Loose motions can be defined as when there is sudden passage of watery and loose stool. Diarrhea is a symptom in IBS (Irritable Bowel Symptom). Loose motions may results in loss of body fluids and minerals from the body. The watery bowel movements are sometimes serious but are most common. It is very common in summers. Due to loss of greater amount of water loss from the body causes dehydration. It is mostly seen in children. It lasts for 2-3 days. Many people suffer from diarrhea once or twice every year. Loose stool causes weakness, loss of appetite, pain in stomach. So, loose motions can be treated with various home remedies.
Diarrhea is frequent watery or loose bowel movements that deviate from the normal pattern. The average adult has about four bouts of diarrhea a year.
Diarrhea is classified as acute or chronic. Acute diarrhea is diarrhea that last less than 2 weeks and chronic last longer than 2 weeks. Most causes of diarrhea last 2-3 days.
Acute diarrhea is most commonly caused viruses in the gastrointestinal tract, but can also be caused by antibiotic use, bacterial or parasitic infections, food allergies or food poisoning.
Causes of Diarrhea or Loose Motions
Loose stool can be caused by various factors. The main factors contribute in loose motions are:
- Excessive intake of food habits
- Fried food also affects digestive system
- Psychological factors like stress
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Presence of some diseases like Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative colitis
- Due to various infections by parasites
- Infections cause by bacteria’s which results in food poisoning
- Allergies due to some food which cannot be digested properly
- Use of various medications
- Dietary factors that lead to chronic diarrhea (but should be considered in acute diarrhea) include: lactose intolerance, Lactose intolerance is associated with gas, bloating and explosive diarrhea.
- Breastfeeding can cause loose stools
- Traver’s diarrhea is common in those who go to Asia, Africa, central or south America and the Middle East. It present with diarrhea, abdominal cramping.
- Partial bowel obstruction can cause diarrhea
- Constipation results in a hard stool that liquid stool can work its way around resulting in diarrhea.
When and who you should see doctor
- Dehydration (Unable to keep fluids down, dark urine or reduced urine output, increased heart rate, low blood pressure, dizzy when standing and dry mouth)
- Diarrhea with lethargy or confusion
- Blood, mucus or pus in the stools
- Abdominal pain
- High fever – greater than 102 degrees Fahrenheit or prolonged fever
- Weight loss
- Those who are very young or very old
- Those with diabetes, heart or kidney disease
- Those with AIDS, cancer or organ transplants
Symptoms of Loose Motions or Diarrhea
Loose motions symptoms may vary depending upon the different complications.
Symptoms of uncomplicated diarrhea
The Symptoms of uncomplicated state includes:
- Abdominal cramps
- Uncontrolled bowel movements
- Watery stool
Symptoms of complicated diarrhea
The Symptoms of complicated state includes:
- Stool dark in color
- Loss of weight
- Stool mixed with blood
- Stool with pus
Home Remedies for Uncomplicated Loose Motions (Diarrhea)
Butter milk to treat loose motions
It is very beneficial and effective drink in pacifying the digestive system thus bringing it in normal position. Add little amount of jeera powder,1tsp of salt in butter milk mix well and drink it 2-3 times a day to stop loose stools.
Pomegranate to treat loose motions
This fruit is very much effective in relieving from loose stool. It can be eaten in any form weather in fruit or in juice form. If a person is taking fruit than he should eat 2 fruits at least in a day. If taking in juice form than a person should drink juice three times a day.
Honey to cure diarrhea
It is a very natural home remedy which is beneficial in lots of health problems and is effective in stopping loose stool. Take 1 Glass of water heat it for few seconds add half teaspoon cinnamon powder and 1 teaspoon of fresh and pure honey mix well and drink it two time empty stomach in the morning.
Fenugreek seeds to cure diarrhea
It is the best home remedy to treat loose motions. It has various properties like ant-bacterial and ant-fungal.Tke two to three fenugreek seeds make it in powdered form mix it in one glass of water and dink empty stomach daily in the morning.
Mustard seeds to prevent diarrhea
These seeds have ant-bacterial property. Take 1 glass of water put one fourth of mustard seeds in table spoon of water keep it for one hour and drink this mixture for 2-3 times a day.
Lemonade to treat loose motions
It has an anti-inflammatory property. It is very effective to get rid off loose motions. Take a lime juice put salt and sugar in it mix well and take this mixture every 1 hour.
A mint with honey to cure diarrhea
Take one teaspoon of a mint juice, one teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice mix them and consume. Take this mixture two to three times a day.
Sago to cure diarrhea
It is first soaked in lots of water than drink this 2-3 time a day
Raw papaya to treat loose motions
Boil raw Papaya in 1 glass of water. Drink this for at least two to three times daily thus helping in stoppage in loose stool.
Dry ginger to prevent diarrhea
Powder Mix half teaspoon of ginger powder in buttermilk and drink it two to three times in a day daily.
Chamomile to cure diarrhea
Tea Boil chamomile flower and peppermint leaves in a cup of water and drink it three times a day.
Bitter gourd juice to prevent diarrhea
Take bitter gourd juice two to three times a day helps in removing the toxins from body thus relieving from loose motions.
Bael leaf powder to treat loose motions
Take 25gm of powdered bael leaf, add 2 tablespoon of honey mix it well and take this mixture three to four times a day.